A second monitor has completely changed my everyday life

Can a second monitor really so greatly affect everyday life? Yes, he can — MeinMMO-author Benedict Schliemann explains how his second monitor has completely changed his life.

I want my second monitor does not easily give up! Something had my friends or colleagues told and retold. But I had always wondered: Is it really? Can a second monitor to be a big improvement that I do not want to miss it?

This question came to me in recent months, often through the head. On the occasion of Black Friday I had then finally bought myself a second monitor. Because the monitor area there was actually one or the other good range of Black Friday, while the rest has been rather disappointing.

Meanwhile, I am of the opinion that one of my best decisions was the 2,021st For the second monitor has especially my everyday life made much easier by the desk. I thank my purchase the way for a full HD monitor decided, even if my colleague Patrick Freeze has been thrilled by his WHO monitor already 2020th

A second monitor has improved my productivity and my overview

That was the problem: With a monitor I have so far had a limited workspace. I like to have lost track in recent months, with many tasks coming toward me, or I had to sort things.

Many operating systems offer you even more virtual desktops, but here I also eventually lost track of what I had while vacated.

Basically you can, you imagine my problem as a desk: Is the desk full, then you will begin to stack the stuff together and probably bookmarks or pack similar to the stuff. But in the worst case you can not find anything again, everything packed into a box and start over again. For me this is the case, if I have 120 tabs open in my Firefox and actually do not know what I'm all have since opened.

So my life has changed: With my second monitor I double this area. Rather than on a desk, I can now distribute my things on two surfaces. I can move to the other monitor unimportant things and not begin to pile everything on a desktop.

And that has improved my work and my workflow (workflow):

Before I had open dozens of windows in the background. Now I can easily spread the stuff on two monitors and go much faster. I can now type a text on the left side while I right the email see that I want to answer. I have to work in the run not constantly between dozens of windows switch back and forth because I have multiple windows open side by side. The many unnecessary clicks fall away with it. On the left, can I open an important presentation, while I see on the other monitor my colleagues.

Why You DO/DON'T Need a Dual Monitor Setup

Two monitors are not supported by any game

While working with two monitors is a real treat and a significant improvement to my everyday life, sees in gaming somewhat different.

The real-time strategy game Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation about supports a setup of two monitors and I can command thousands of units through the area. Even the racing game Need for Speed: payback supports two monitors. My graphics card is also in accordance with the work. So this is only worthwhile if you have a graphics card in the computer, which provides enough power for two monitors. Alternatively, you can use a technique such as AMD FSR to get more FPS.

But the dual-monitor setup works far with all games: Especially some indie titles such as Kingdoms: Two Crown or about the Pokémon clone Tested not support. There is then partially ugly artifacts or the possibility of me is not offered. Here I am then gone over at the end to use the second monitor for Discord or the like. This is especially interesting for all the people who want to transform your setup into a streaming room.

Think about enough if you want a second monitor early

Because of the then offer to Black Friday, I combine in my work two monitors from different manufacturers. In desktop mode, the differences are not noticeable barely up as text or web pages look the same on both monitors.

When gaming, the differences are particularly noticeable when set to different display techniques. So my primary monitor offers significantly better contrast and black values, while the other monitors provide battery colors. One way here is to calibrate the monitors so that the colors fit together again.

Another thing is more of a personal inclination, because I'm shoveling work and new windows first on the left monitor, then push things on the right side. Even while gambling me often happens that I do almost everything on the left side. The opponents roll up on the right half of his half my outpost? No problem, then I move my left cut to the right.

I do not want to give my second monitor any more

Hardly anything has changed my everyday life as much as a second monitor. That sounds very exaggerated. But if you have worked with a monitor for years and suddenly two devices have and worked, then the many things makes it great easier.

In everyday life I save a belonging portion of time I can now invest for other and more meaningful things. When gaming, I'm still a little column. On the one hand, I like to play games in large format, but not all games support that.

What do you think about that? Do you already have a second monitor in your workplace and can share similar positive experiences or keep your view for overvalued? Discuss with us in the comments and tells what you think of it!

The best gaming monitors 2021 for the PC

Comments