to read also: a PS5 shown upside down ... in a Sony advertisement, the video
Sony has just revealed through an official PlayStation Duite update that the beta version users of the PS5 operating system will soon have the ability to add an internal SSD extension.
For those who do not follow everything, an additional internal M.2 SSD not only stores PS5 games but also to launch them. So far, it was only possible to launch a PS5 game from the original internal storage of the console.
To be installed and used on a PS5, M.2 SSD disks must meet the following conditions according to Sony (official schemes detailing these specifications are available in our gallery below ):
- Interface: SSD M.2 NVME PCIE GEN4 X4
- Capacity: 250 GB to 4 TB
- Cooling structure: To use a M.2 SSD disc with your PS5 console, it must be equipped with an efficient heat dissipation system with a cooling structure, such as a heat sink. . You can add one yourself to your M.2 SSD disk, which it is simple or double-sided. There are also SSD drives M.2 with cooling structures (such as integrated heat sink).
- Sequential play speed: speed of at least 500 MB / s recommended
- Width of the module: 22 mm (discs with a width of 25 mm not supported)
- Format: 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110 (Type M.2).
- Type of socket: socket 3 (key m)
- Total dimensions with the cooling structure: In millimeters: less than 110 mm (length) x 25 mm (width) x 11.25 mm (height). In inches: less than 4.33 in (length) x 0.984 "(width) x 0.442 in (height)
- Length: M.2 SSD Disks The following lengths are compatible with PS5 consoles: 30 mm, 42 mm, 60 mm, 80 mm, 110 mm (depending on the type of format, as shown above).
- Width: An SSD module M.2 of 22 mm width is required. The total structure (additional cooling structure) must not exceed 25 mm (0.984 ").
- Height: The total height of the SSD drive M.2 and its cooling structure (for example, a thermal sink), whether the latter is integrated or added separately, must be less than 11.25 mm ( 0.442 "). The height must also be adapted, according to the circuit board of the SSD Disc M.2: The space under the card must be less than 2.45 mm (0.096 "). The total space above the card must be less than 8 mm (0.314 in.). Note: Millimeters values are the standard and are more accurate than those in inches.
The Japanese manufacturer also provides several additional details about compatibility with additional internal SSDs:
- Single and double-sided SSD devices are supported.
- SSD DISCs M.2 SATA are not supported.
- Before any purchase, make sure to carefully check the disk specifications and contact the distributor or the manufacturer if you need details. SIE provides no guarantee as to the operation of SSD Devices M.2 respecting the specifications prescribed with your console, and rejects any liability for the choice, performance or use of third-party products.
- All games will not necessarily benefit from the same performance as with the ultra-fast internal SSD disk of the PS5 console, even if the sequential playback speed of the SSD Device M.2 is greater than 5,500 MB / s.
- Most SSD devices M.2 with the type numbers above (2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110, key type M) with no integrated cooling structure will stay in the SSD slot of the console. PS5. However, the dimensions of the cooling structures (such as heat sheds) vary substantially. If you do not know with certainty if the SSD drive M.2 or the cooling structure (like a heat sink) that you plan to add responds to the required dimensions shown in this document, we recommend that you consider another product or Contact the supplier or the manufacturer for more information.
Note that the Japanese manufacturer specifies that the features and specifications just listed only correspond to the beta version and can still change by the distribution of the system software version opening this compatibility to all PS5 users.
The PS5 firmware beta users of the PS5 pressed to install a M.2 SSD on their console can discover the entire English procedure at this address.
"This new" does it look forward to you? Do you intend to install an internal M.2 SSD on your PS5? Can the proceeding and the conditions need to be fulfilled to dissuade you from skipping the footsteps? Tell us everything in the comments below._